Commemorated on War Memorial and Church Memorial at St James’ and Christleton Institute
Frank was the son of Walter & Ann Davies, the eldest of six children, Frank, Ada May 17, Samuel 14, Walter 12, Alfred Stanley 9 and Annie 6months. They lived in Littleton at “The Pond” at the junction of Pearl & Littleton Lanes, where there was once a pond or marl pit. The Davies family were involved with agriculture and transport. The Pond was adjacent to or part of Castle Cottage which they also lived in at one time, which was once part of Bentley’s Farm. The original farm house dates from 1676, although the new front and castellations were added much later
Franks regiment the 22nd Manchester(Manchester Pals) were part of the 7th Division of Regular & new Army lined up for the Battle of the Somme on 1st July 1916 near Mametz, on an infamous day that saw over 60,000men killed, one of the worst days in our history. The 22nd Manchesters were among the troops fighting in the 91st Brigade to the right of the battle, and they crossed a narrow stretch of no man’s land, although under fire. They were able to penetrate the German lines and were the most advanced troops of all in the battle.
They were joined by the 18th Division on their right and after a pause to ring in re –inforcements, they pushed towards Manetz, and helped to the collapse of the German resistance in the village. The Brigade had covered 2,500yards, had taken 1,600prisoners, but had suffered 8,000casualties.
Frank is reported missing in action in the September 1916 Parish Magazine, but news had already reached his family of his bravery, with this announcement in the London Gazette.
SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 27 JULY, 1916, 7443
No., 21378 C.S.M. Frank Davies, 22nd Battalion Manchester Regiment.
“For conspicuous gallantry and fine leading. Though wounded before the assault, he advanced with his company, and, after all the officers of his company had become casualties, he rallied the men and organised bombing parties to clear the position reached”.