website statistics
Tom Duffin of Christleton

Tom Duffin

Tom Duffin
Duffin Family Home - Village of Christleton
14th Canadians Regiment
Military Medal
Death Date:
3rd June 1927. Age 31
Buried at St James', Christleton.

Tom Duffin (Senior) was responsible for looking after the policing of the village area, and was a member of the Stoak and Christleton Mounted Brigade during WWI.

Cheshire Observer 30th December 1916

Tom Duffin, son of Mr Tom Duffin of Christleton has received the Military Medal in the field whilst serving the Canadians.

  • Grave


Parish Magazine January 1917

There is a report of the award of a Military Medal.
Citation Tom Duffin

Glad to say I am very well considering I’ve had a bullet through my leg
Thomas Duffin in a letter home

Cheshire Observer Report June 17th 1917
Thomas Duffin – wounded

Many friends of Company sergeant Major Tom Duffin of the Canadian Regiment- who volunteered out in Canada on the outbreak of war has been on the front for 18months, will regret to learn he has been wounded in action.
In a letter home he states,

“Just a few lines hoping you are quite well. Glad to say I am very well considering I’ve had a bullet through my leg. Reckon myself lucky to be here. We were in divisional rest at the time, and called up on Friday night to go and help. We arrived on the front at daybreak, and ordered to advance into position at all costs. Had 700 yards of open country to go over, and suffered very heavy artillery fire. They held their machines guns and rifle fire until we were no more than 100yards from them. Then they opened up and mowed us down. I got to within 50yards and was bowled over with a machine gun bullet. I crawled into a shell hole and tied myself up. Another poor chap crawled in with me, with a great hole in his stomach. He died later in the day. I lay there all that day under a continuous bombardment. As soon as it got dark I started to crawl out, when they opened up machine gun & rifle fire, and the fiercest shell fire I’ve ever experienced!!. It died down after about two hours and I started to crawl again. I had got about 500yards when they opened up again. Just as bad if not worse than before and kept it up until daybreak. As soon as it stopped I started off& managed to reach a dressing station, and from there was sent down to this hospital. I don’t know if I shall make England or not. I hope I do. They treat us pretty well here, plenty of grub, with fruits and sweets.”

Tom Duffin of Christleton